Date with George Clooney
FREE FLU VACCINE NOW AVAILABLE AT ALL PUBLIC HEALTH CLINICS
MEMPHIS – Influenza vaccine is now available at no cost at all of the Shelby County Health Department (SCHD) clinics while supplies last.
“Influenza right now is disproportionately affecting young adults, ages 20 to 40, with no underlying conditions, which is unlike the groups usually most vulnerable,” said Helen Morrow, M.D., health officer for SCHD.
Annual vaccination against influenza is recommended for everyone six months and older, including school-aged children, who want to reduce the risk of becoming ill or transmitting it to others. The vaccine is especially recommended for the following persons who are at increased risk for severe complications associated with influenza:
- Pregnant women
- People 50 years of age and older
- People of any age with chronic medical conditions, including asthma and other lung diseases, heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes
- People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from influenza, including:
Ø Health care workers
Ø Household contact of persons at high risk for complications from influenza
Ø Household contacts and caregivers of children less than six months of age
Some tips to help protect against the spread of influenza include:
- Clean: Properly wash hands frequently with warm, soapy water; disinfect surfaces.
- Cover: Cover cough and sneeze into a disposable tissue or arm.
- Contain: Stay home from school/work when sick to keep germs from spreading.
If an individual experiences flu-like symptoms, they should contact their health care provider. Symptoms include: fever of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or greater; headache, fatigue, cough, muscle aches, and sore throat.
No appointment is necessary. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday unless otherwise specified below.
Hickory Hill Clinic
6590 Kirby Center Cove
8225 Highway 51 N.
814 Jefferson Ave, Room 216
Shelby Crossing Clinic
6170 Macon Road
Southland Mall Clinic
1215 Southland Mall-Inside Mall
(Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
(Tuesday and Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)