Twerking Olive Branch Teacher Being Criticized

Posted on: 3:10 pm, January 21, 2014, by , updated on: 03:12pm, January 21, 2014

(Olive Branch, MS) A mobile phone video of an Olive Branch, MS teacher is getting a lot of attention.

In the video, a teacher is seen ‘twerking’ in-front of a class.

Twerking is defined as, “a type of dancing in which an individual dances to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low squatting stance.”

Some people have said the video is disturbing.

School administrators say the video is not what it appears.

“The two teachers had good intentions to show how silly students look  when they dance in inappropriate ways.  This video was taken out of context,” said Allyson Killough, Olive Branch High Principal.

Killough went on to say, “Our responsibility as teachers is to be a good example and act professionally.  A video clip out of context can have multiple meanings and be misinterpreted”.

Dennis Turner will have more on the video and reaction today on News Channel 3 at Five.

• What a cover up by school administrators!

• Aaron says:

Mrs. Ransom, you couldn’t be further out of touch if you were on Mars. Because you dislike the administration, you constantly look for ways to discredit them and the great work they do for our children. Perhaps now that your son has used the education (he received from OBHS) to move on to bigger and better things you should do the same. These are two of the most dedicated and caring teachers at this school. There is no cover up or conspiracy, just teachers trying to reach students who are usually apathetic to their everyday classes. Please move on with your life or get a degree and come teach. You could then have a say in what goes on at OBHS. Until then please crawl back under the rock from which you came.

• Lovemycommunity says:

The only cover up here is the cover up of why you are targeting this particular teacher.. Why don’t you tell the news people what you are really mad about!

• Amber says:

I was a student of one of the teachers, best teacher I’ve ever had including college. She was the one everyone would always remember. She was so funny! Her class was not only fun, but she made world history…fun, which is something you will never hear me say again! She wasn’t the boring teacher standing in front of the class just talking while we watched her mouth move..we HEARD her. She always knew “how” to “teach”, meaning she not only did the same ole notes and study guide blah blah but she would find things that relate to us and help us understand it! If they would have played the REST of the video, you would see that they are showing how absolutely ridiculous “twerking” really is. It takes teachers doing silly things like this to catch a teenagers attention as we all can remember! If you never had a teacher like this growing up…hate it for ya!

• Patsy says:

I don’t know the teachers or anyone that attends this school. From an outsider – this appears to be a couple of teachers successfully getting their students’ attention. Maybe to show them how silly this dance really looks….
        For me, in high school – the teachers that were “real” – were the ones I learned the most from everyday. I didn’t want to skip their class. They kept me interested in learning.
        Careful coming to conclusions from a few seconds of video folks…

• Common Sense says:

Stop the hate Ms. Ransom. There is no cover up, only trouble makers with an agenda.

• Dianna says:

And the teachers so such good example and act professionally.

• Brandon says:

As someone who had those teachers previously, they always cut up but it was always to teach you something. Sounds like some student just wanted to cause some trouble. To me this video is just saying “Hey all of you students who worship Miley Cyrus. This is what she will look like in 40 years. Get the point?”

• LWF says:

Dianna, if you are going to make comments about the behavior of teachers, at least use proper grammar.

• Jo says:

I see a etcher that probably has a much better connection with students than a stuff shirt! I don’t see anything “distubing”!

• Brooke says:

Apparently whomever posted this video does not know what twerking is because that definitely isn’t it. These teachers aren’t doing anything wrong at all. Looks like they were showing the students how stupid that some of their dancing looks to others.This is nothing more than a student with noting better to do than try to come up with a reason to stir up a bunch of junk, which is exactly what is wrong with this situation. Along with the fact that a news channel is condoning students causing confrontation with school teachers. How about reporting all of the good things teachers do for our children instead of twisting a story into what you would like for everyone to think happened.

• Lovemycommunity says:

I’m willing to bet that the student was not trying to cause problems for the teachers and someone else that wants to make teachers look bad is the culprit! Everyone that knows these teachers love them and appreciate the life lessons they’ve learned from them! I am so proud of our schools and these excellent teachers have helped make our school the great school it is!

• I think this is another perfect example of people rushing to judgement with no attempt to get the facts. The 30 second video obviously showed the teachers being silly and demonstrating how ridiculous twerking looks to anyone beside the person performing the action. Get a grip!

• Jo says:

*teacher*

• Dianna says:

LWF your a troll!!! That’s the best you have on a comment!!!

• Melissa says:

Seriously? There is NOTHING being done wrong in this video. All you have here are two teachers showing their students how idiotic this type of dancing makes people look. Stop trying to cause trouble where there is none! By the way….why did this student have his/her cell phone out in class? Is this allowed? Was the student breaking any rules by having their phone out? Just asking…

• whoyoukiddin says:

Finally, someone spoke up as I was reading and stated the obvious! Why was there a cell phone out in a classroom????? Doesn’t anyone get this point? This is the biggest problem with students – cell phones.

• amy says:

I know these teachers and they are not doing anything but trying to teach these kids what their parents are neglecting to. Our youth is way to provocative these days and if they see how they look or see how they perceive others while acting foolishly maybe they will stop.

• Stephanie says:

Really this made news? These two teachers were always doing things like this to get their students attention, and guess what it WORKS!! I’m surprised this is not a part of one of their comical skits they do for OBHS’s News program, Quistor Voices. I wouldn’t take this piece of news too seriously people.

• Jessica Correia says:

OBHS provided me with an awesome education and awesome memories. These two teachers had a big part of impacting that. As Ab and Lamb have always been loud and in your face they are two of the best teachers I have ever had. If showing the kids how absolutely ridiculous they look “twerking” and that’s critized I honestly don’t know what people want out of Olive Branch. They are two awesome teachers. With sincere hearts. I am really dumb founded why this is such a big deal…

• Jesse Patrick says:

I had her when I went to OBHS and she was a great teacher. She was and probably still is one of the favorites in the school.
    People who have complaints about this really need to lighten up.

• Former Student says:

I am an on old student of this teacher. To be honest people need to see that it is nothing wrong with her dancing. Actually Ms. Lambert is a great teacher; she is actually one of the best. Ms. Lambert keeps her class alive and willing to learn. I can say that not all teachers are able too. Also, people should look at her test score for the class she teach. All her students are mostly passing due to her way of teaching.

• Tayler says:

The news & this student criticizing Ab & Lamb about this is absolutely ridiculous! I had classes with both of them & loved them both! Out of my four years in high school those 2 were the best teachers! They also were the only classes I ever loved going to & learning just for this reasons right here in this video!

• Jessica says:

This is ridiculous and it’s a perfect example to show the actual idiots that do this in public have no self respect. There is nothing wrong with this. And mothers who let their children do this are pathetic.. Just sayin it’s #ratchet

• Alicia Parr says:

As parent of a former OBHS student, a current OBHS student, and 2 future OBHS students, I totally support the teachers. They are GREAT teachers! My boys loved their class and learned in them and I hope my girls get them for teachers when they get to OBHS. The video is clearly a parody and fun. Ab and Lamb make school fun and that is a good thing.

• Jessica says:

^true

• Sam says:

Awesome! I wish they were my teachers!

• Sam says:

I can’t stop watching!

• anc says:

I went to OBHS and had one of these teachers! Not only did I learn more in that class than any other but I had fun at school because of teachers like this! I’m sorry but sitting behind a desk and lecturing students is not teaching! Ab and Lamb get involved and interact with students! Some of the best teachers I know!!!

• Anna says:

I had BOTH of these teachers when I attended OBHS. They were the highlight of everyone’s day. They made learning something new and fun, and something to actually remember long term. These teachers care a lot more than most. I guarantee that most students who had them or currently have them as teachers will agree that these two people had no ill intentions while doing this. I can’t believe THIS is news, of all things.

• All knowing says:

Interesting

• Devoted teachers says:

These two people aren’t just teachers. They are mentors. They have devoted their lives to their careers. It’s not just a job or a paycheck. I can guarentee they could both have private sector jobs that pay twice as much but they love teaching and they love the kids they work with. They are a big reason the Olive Branch High School is a Star School. Yes that’s right. The media never reported that. A big reason for the Star rating is the students want to do well because they love their teachers and their school.

• Supportive Teacher says:

As a fellow teacher, I applaud their ability to enjoy their job and minister to the students. The kids like lively teachers who enjoy their jobs. The student filming is the one to be reprimanded. Now they have possibly discouraged these educators. Geez…

• Supportive Teacher says:

No justice…

• Kristen says:

I had one of these teachers while I was at OBHS and I absolutely loved that class. I learned more and enjoyed going to that class more than any other. He teaches with a method that is wish other teachers used. He makes himself relatable and approchable and also teaches his material in a way that was memorable. Does he do crazy things and make his point in unusual ways? Of course he does and that’s why we all loved him. I had his class almost 8 years ago and I STILL remember the quadratic formula… These teachers should not be reprimanded in any way for proving a point. It was all most likely innocent fun to show kids how to behave or not behave at their upcoming prom.

• Angie says:

My daughter was a student in this teacher’s class last semester. She is a great teacher. Our kids have a lot of pressure on them to make good grades and stay focused. I think it’s pretty obvious these teachers were just allowing the kids a moment to laugh & decompress from their stressful schedules. I would be willing to sign any petition to keep these teachers in the classroom where they belong. It’s a sad day when this much scrutiny is placed on something so harmless.

• Jessica says:

As a former OBHS student who had Abernathy, this is taken way out of context. These teachers are probably some of the best teachers OBHS has and they are being criticized for something so ridiculous. I can remember a ton of little skits like this that were done when I was in high school and its just sad to me that whoever filmed this probably didnt even get the message they were trying to convey. Instead they go and cause a big news story over something so trivial. The news story should be how great of an education you receive from OBHS and all of the teachers there.

• Daniel says:

I had both Abernathy and Lambert for high school teachers at OBHS and like everyone else who had them as a teacher, this is way out of context. That’s how they are. They are goffy, silly, and funny. They know how to be a good role model, they know how to teach, and they are professionals as teachers. I’m horrible with history but with Lambert, I passed that class with an A. They should not be getting all the bs that they are getting from this video. I think that the parent who submitted this video should get to know the teachers and know that that is just how they are and that is being an amazing teacher.

• Codi says:

As a student that has had those teachers I know personally that they always have a reason to there demonstrations. They are both amazing teachers and you can ask anyone that has had there classes previously that they make sure to help there students and make teaching us actually interesting instead of tiring. This student was just mad because he was written up by one of the teachers.

• It was a silly dance they did. Where’s the harm again?

• Julie m says:

That’s mr ab and mrs lamb. I went to this Highschool and had both of them as a teacher and they have always been doing funny stuff. They even had their own show that they showed at our school during the morning announcements. It’s stupid to think this is bad or vulgar. They are the ones that made people remember high school and enjoy it! They have made memories for me that I will never forget and will always cherish because they are great at what they do!

• monroe says:

Hey I had Lambert MY senior year she is a AWESOME & she makes class fun & learning fun. Abernathy he is the same way. They didn’t mean any harm by the video. Just keeping kids attention. I mean u have too entertain students too keep there attention. I used too look forward too School because these teachers. They made learning much more interesting.

• Keith says:

My Daughter is a student at Olive Branch High school. The teacher dancing is one of the best teachers and most caring teachers you could ask for. He reaches students and impacts their lives. If WREG makes something negative of this video, it would be a great injustice. WREG, find something solid to show us on the news and don’t air 8 second video clips you know nothing about and try to create a story. Signed Watching Channel 5 tonight.

• Proud OBHS Teacher says:

I teach at Olive Branch High School and I’ve worked side by side with both of these teachers for twelve years. They are two of the best educators at OBHS, not only because of the knowledge that they impart to the students but also because of the connection that they have with the kids. They are liked and respected by the staff and the students. I could only hope that my child could one day by taught by these two educators. I am proud to work with these teachers because they not only liven up the students’ days but they also make my job more enjoyable. They love their job and their students! They know that the only way that you survive this job is to incorporate some fun!

One other thing to keep in mind is the fact that over the years, these two teachers have taught state tested subjects and consistently had students with high passing rates. OBHS is also an “A” school and has been for the past two years. Apparently, teaching is taking place in our classrooms, and these two teachers are a huge part of that!

Side note: On the day of this video filming, many of us were approached by Quistor Voices, our student run tv/broadcasting class, and were asked to perform popular dance moves to be shown on qv. The whole point? To have fun and to show kids how they appear to us when they dance! I am willing to bet that the person who sent you this clip didn’t include that useful piece of info.

• Joseph says:

I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the video if he was showing them how stupid the dance is! It’s just getting carried away because one student took it and posted it everywhere!

• C1981 says:

It’s obvious that these teachers were being silly! There’s nothing wrong with this video at all! I had an art teacher in high school that took 1 student every year to prom and “made him a man” from all accounts. THAT was a problem, not this!! The biggest issue I see here is that some child had their cell phone out during school hours. Is this allowed now?? To my knowledge kids aren’t supposed to have them out at all. Cell phones should NOT be allowed in schools!

• HistoryFish says:

I like butter

• Richard Fitzpatrick says:

I have no clue why this is on the news. I had Mrs. Lambert for Government and I knew Coach Abernathy really well. They’re not trying to just get the student’s attention. It was just something funny. And for God’s sake, it is just 6 seconds long. Everybody on the news, including the man that was reporting about the video, made it seem like they’re bad teachers. No, they are wonderful teachers. And no one was in shock. I knew the girl y’all pointed out in this video. She was laughing, she was not scared. I sit in front of her at lunch everyday, and she’s not happy that y’all pointed her out on the news for something so pointless. You can ask every single student at the school on their opinion about this being so worldwide, and they will also think the same.

• Richard Fitzpatrick says:

Oh, and at least talk about something more solid on the news. This 1:50 video was just a waste of time. Mrs. Lambert and Coach Abernathy are great, intelligent teachers. A little 6 seconds of twerking, and they’re all of a sudden immature and shouldn’t be teachers? Really? I will stand up for those teachers any day.

• say says:

the dude can’t dance for sure.