(Memphis) Memphis firefighters say the extremely cold temperatures are making an already dangerous job more difficult.
Tuesday morning, a firefighter was taken to the hospital after he slipped on some ice at a fire scene in Whitehaven.
A couple at the home on Craft Road escaped without serious injuries.
Memphis firefighters say their mission is to protect people and property, but when it’s that cold outside, they also have to take precautions to protect themselves.
In order to avoid frostbite or hypothermia, firefighters take turns fighting the fire and take breaks inside a heated truck sent to the scene.
“On our rehab units, we have turbo heaters, and these heaters are somewhat like
athletes use on the football field,” said Lt. Wayne Cooke.
Along with the frigid temperatures, firefighters also have to worry about the ice created by all the water being sprayed on the fire.
The firefighter who fell this morning was treated for a sprained ankle.
“We are constantly pouring flowing water on the scene so we are concerned about
trip and fall hazards that potentially will happen in these type of incidents,” said Lt. Cooke.
The fire on Craft was started by a space heater.
Firefighters are also reminding people to keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that could catch on fire.
Also, never leave a space heater unattended or turned on while you are sleeping.