(Memphis) A Memphis grandmother is still in shock after narrowly escaping a fire in her Frayser apartment New Year ’s Day.
The fire at the Forrest Park Apartments off of Frayser Boulevard began just after midnight.
Sandra Pluitt told News Channel 3 she was inside her home with a friend, her 4-year-old daughter, and two grandchildren when she woke up.
“I was sleeping, just was the good Lord that told me to get up. When I went down the hallway my whole living room was covered with smoke. We were actually trapped for at least ten minutes in that house and I thought that we were going to die,” said Pluitt.
Pluitt said her front door was jammed, so they ran to the back door.
However, intense flames coming from the apartment below, prevented them from using the stairs.
Pluitt said her friend jumped over the balcony.
“I just put them over the rail and just dropped them,” said Pluitt about getting the kids out of harm’s way.
She said her friend and another neighbor caught the children from the second story balcony.
Pluitt said she then climbed over the railings and slid down a pole to safety.
“Evidently God wasn’t ready for me or my grandkids to go. The only thing we have is the clothes on our back but I feel like I’m rich because I’m still standing here.”
The Memphis Fire Department has not determined the cause of the fire.
They say the building had working smoke detectors.