21-Year-Old Arrested For Murder For The Second Time In Four Years

(Memphis) A 21-year-old man is charged with murder for the second time in four years.

Police arrested Ryan Winston for killing a 17-year-old in 2009. He’s behind bars again for killing a man in the Coro Lake neighborhood.

Police said a man was found in a pool of blood at his home on East Shore last week.

Investigators said three men were behind it, including Winston.

Winston is no stranger to the law.

In the past four years, he was arrested for unlawful possession of a weapon and various assault charges.

When he was 16, he was charged with a drive-by shooting that killed a 17-year-old. It happened after a fight at Hamilton High involving more than 100 students.

Prosecutors said they later reduced Winston’s charges, because police found out he didn’t pull the trigger. He was just the get-away driver.

Winston spent 11 months locked up.

“It’s probably some factual circumstance that made it more suitable for the amended charge of accessory,” said Andre Wharton.

Wharton practices criminal law and works with juveniles.

He said if Winston is found guilty, he will likely spend a lot more time in prison.

“[His history] is going to be taken into account, and whether there was some theme there. Obviously, the ideas for the courts is to send a message to Mr. Winston or to individuals in a similar situation,” said Wharton.

Wharton said Winston is an example of how our juvenile court system needs to be changed. He said there needs to be a “holistic” and new way of doing things to keep kids out of trouble.

Winston is expected in court Tuesday morning.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 10,439 other followers