Tips To Protect Your Family From Winter Weather
(WREG-TV) Are you prepared for the oncoming cold weather?
Here are some tips and resources to ensure your family’s safety during the winter months:
– Bring your pets inside. They may be furry, but they still get cold!
– If there’s a possibility of ice, avoid driving unless necessary. Let someone know where you’re going and how long you expect it will take to arrive, then contact them when you arrive at your destination.
– Trim your trees, paying special attention to weak limbs. Ice and snow weigh down branches, increasing the chance they may snap.
– If a power line goes down or you have another emergency (like a gas leak or water main break), call 528-4465. If you have an outage, call 544-6500.
– Keep your car’s gas tank full so ice doesn’t form in the tank or fuel lines.
– Stock up on water and foods that don’t need to be refrigerated or cooked.
– Keep blankets, food and water, a first-aid kit, and other items in your car in case you get stranded.
– If the heat goes out in your home, do NOT bring in a grill or camp stove to use for warmth, since these release carbon monoxide.