Homeowner Shoots Alleged Burglar

Posted on: 9:55 pm, November 29, 2013, by , updated on: 10:33pm, November 29, 2013

(Memphis) Audrienne Owens said criminals have targeted her neighborhood for years.  She thought they got better until her son came running to her around lunch time.

“My son said, ‘Momma I heard a gunshot’ and I looked in and police were there”, said Owens.

Police said the man living in a home just down the block called 911 saying he heard someone breaking the glass of his rear window. By the time officers got there, the home owner had come face to face with the men coming through his window and he shot at them. One was hit and found a block away.

“It’s not you taking the law in your hands; it’s exercising your right as a citizen” said another woman who didn’t want her identity revealed.

She said her gun is always loaded and she’s ready to protect herself. She said criminals will never get the message unless we stand up and show them we’re ready to fight back.

“If you’re foolish enough to put your life on the line. I’m not. I want to live”, she said.

Police are still searching for the second man who supposedly was trying to break into the home and others in this Hickory Hill area say they’re proud of their neighbor for protecting himself.

• HARDTRUTH says:

Good shooting!

• Ron Shaffer says:

This is what the 2nd and 4th amendment are for. I only hope the homeowner is a legal owner of the gun. Now to wait and see when someone will say the owner had no right to protect their home and life.

• Steve Ellis says:

Legal owner? If he bought it it’s his. No entity should be allowed to control that. No one has the right to know what, let alone how many of something you own. This is America! God bless this union!

• jeffd says:

Personally, I wouldn’t carry if the home owner didn’t own the gun legally. The home owner is home, minding their own business. Some arrested piece of dna breaks into their home. As far as I’m concerned, the home owner could’ve cut loose with a Howitzer and I’d be fine with it; in full auto that is.

When seconds count, The police is only minutes away. You have right to protect yourself and property. It is not illegal to own firearms, you need a need a HGC license inside your residence.

Correction, You do not need a permit inside of your residence.

• Richard Chesser says:

That depends on which state you live in. In D.C. and New York, you have to have a permit to even own a handgun.

• harley rod says:

You can apply for a gun permit/license in New York if it’s for your home of place of business, full carry is a whole separate thing. If you have a clean record it shouldn’t be a problem.

• rich avallone says:

Good luck getting apermit in those facist run states. I live in Florid. Castke, stand your ground, alk good here.

• Bettypetonquot says:

Here in Michigan YOU can carry a gun out in public as long as it isn’t concealed. I want to get my CCW, but for now I keep it at my bed and when I go out at night.

• Jimmy D says:

You’re not getting a carry permit in New York unless you’re law enforcement or someone who makes 1,500 worth of bank deposits a night for a business with an owner endorsement. New York is the poster state and city for violating your second amendment rights . Right now with this POS Cuomo in office you can’t even have guns with more than 7 bullet capacity .

• larry says:

THE ONLY PERMIT YOU NEED INSIDE YOUR RESIDENCE IS THE SECOND AMENDMENT. THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS.GOD BLESS OBAMAS AMERICA.

• rich avallone says:

If obama and the rest of the progressivs in the dem. Party you would be lucky to use a nail file for self defense

• david says:

In My Home with locked doors and windows I do not need permission or permit to defend my homestead!!!!!!

• Thomas H. Evans says:

Great shooting, but too bad he didn’t hit the second guy/girl, or maybe he did. Remember, you don’t need a “Carry Permit,” to have a gun in your home, just make sure it isn’t stolen or illegal in some way.

• rich avallone says:

But u need one for the street. Never know when some jerk is gonna walk up on you or walk into a resturant etc.

• Tracy dillard says:

Good shot.

• mike says:

what ? no idiot comments about gun control and the big bad N R A ?

• Laron says:

@ Mike- amazing there have been no idiotic remarks blaming the NRA! Maybe, just maybe some of the libs are finally catching on. (I hope its not just wishful thinking on my part.)

This is exactly why we need gun control in this country. How is the government supposed to protect the rights of the burglar if they allow citizens to own guns? What do the citizens have to fear if they have guns? How can the government control the citizens if they allow them to own guns?

• m avery says:

great shot

• American born Muslim says:

Amen!

• Tim Watts says:

Great!!!!…A citizen protecting their domain…thats what its all about

• mike says:

everyone should have a gun

• Pakinpastor says:

NO! Everybody should have some gunS! I keep a few around the house, so no matter if I’m upstairs or downstairs, I have easy access. And I carry at ALL times! Glock 21SF .45 cal and 14 shots!

• Hopefully the other one fell over in a ditch and bled out…

• honestbob says:

Thats the problem in this world. Nonya wait until lowlife thugs break in your house. You will take those words back. Good for the home owner!!!

• J says:

Castle law here where I live. Shot placement!!

• Finally we are seeing the right stories. People protecting themselves in their own homes. We need to see and hear about more stories like this one.

• Marty Butler says:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

• John says:

I love the Bill of Rights, too, Marty. Especially the Second Amendment. Without it we are lambs to the slaughter. I don’t care what the anti-gun crowd thinks in the wake of any tragedy. I have a Right to ‘keep and bear arms’ and there’s no taking that away unless I break the law. The POS politicians that keep trying to take that Right away can all go to hell.

• Dan says:

Gun control is hitting the target. Homeowner might want to think about other options since one burglar escaped and the other survived. .12 gauge 3″ 00 Buck or .45 ACP Personal Defense ammo, along with regular practice, will assure the homeowner that he doesn’t have to worry about the same burglar again. Shooting twice shouldn’t be necessary. Still a better result than it could have been.

Important reminder: Burglars always anticipate opposition, are usually armed, and they will KILL you if necessary, so NEVER get involved in a fair fight with criminals. Winning a gunfight means being willing and able to use deadly force to protect yourself and your family. Typical police response time is about 15 minutes. Typical handgun or shotgun ammo travels at about 1,000′/second. The math is pretty simple.

• robertv96@gmail.com says:

This is the problem with our country now! Did anyone notice how the media depicted this? The “Alleged” criminal, the other “Supposed” robber? No these ARE crooks and they are fortunate that they didn’t break into the wrong home! Neither one of them would be alive which is the best for everyone! Punishment NEVER fits the crime anymore and these idiots would be back on the street again soon doing the same or worse. Judicious marksmanship is the only thing to stop this from happening. The police can’t be teleported to the scene so they almost always get away. My suggestion to all Liberals is to put a sign in your front yard that says you do not believe in owning guns. This will direct the criminals to homes where they will be safe! What??……..crickets chirping……?

• Steve says:

The “alleged” in the headlines is to prevent the news agency from getting sued for libel. Innocent until proven guilty, and he hasn’t had his trial yet. That’s all it is. They’re just being PC.

• Jlk says:

Next time kill those intruders the neighbors will like that also. Gun Laws in TN are bad more crime there because they limit people on their rights. Just over the line in MS they don’t have this problem because they are allowed to shoot before the people enter your house your allowed to shoot them on your property period.

• Good going , but he should ha shot the burglar dead,

• Guido says:

If you are not willing or able to defend your own home, and become a victim, it’s your fault and no one else’s. Get a life people!

• What an idiot. He’s just lucky they weren’t armed.

• remrafdn says:

That POS shoulda been DOA

• jason411 says:

The home owner did the right thing we have the right to defend are selfs and our property.

• Madmax says:

I saw a lot of comments on permits and such…People we need to remember that any and all gun laws are unconstitutional the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. that means any gun law is unconstitutional and is there for illegal.

• A B says:

How stupid? Who knows what the robbers would have done to him and his family. Not being able to defend yourself and family is stupid.

• dead shot says:

maybe these idiots will realize that there are more people out there in this country that have guns and will kill if that is what it takes to protect there families. especially since the cops are putting the idiots in jail that need to be in jail especially since they know who is causing the crimes. they have the right to defend themselves if that means taking a life then so be it.

• bullsballs says:

The reason the media says supposed and alleged is due to the fact that all are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

If the media were to say the people involved were guilty of a crime, the defense attorney would have a field day with that, especially if the cops arrest the wrong person as the second criminal involved in the crime.

• Joe Williams says:

Aim center mass… 2 round bursts. Hats off to the home owner!!!

• Tim says:

There should be no question a person in their home has the right to protect themselves, their family, their guests, and their property.

• TakeNoBull says:

Shooter of the year award lol

• takenobull says:

Way to shoot lol

• leantotheleft says:

I have 3 quick comments about the responses to this article. 1) I applaud the homeowner for protecting his life and property. That’s what the second amendment is all about. Having said that, 2) “a well regulated militia” certainly means appropriate limits can be legally set on gun ownership and their uses. Mental/criminal screenings and bans on assault weapons along with magazine and bullet limitations should be acceptable to any rational person. 3) Several comments dealt with taking or banning all guns by the liberals. I can’t name one person in any position of government who has EVER said they want to ban all guns. No one has said it and the gun advocates should Stop making that false claim. Thank you for your kind attention.

• CharlesInTexas says:

2. When all the crooks, terrorists and criminals give up their guns, then maybe I will accept limits on the type of weapons, ammunition, magazine capacity I can use. But since that is never going to happen I will stand behind my second amendment right to keep and bear arms WITHOUT INFRINGEMENT. The right given has nothing to do with a militia. 3. You need to go back and listen to Feinstein, Bloomberg, and the Brady zealots again if you think the libs aren’t talking about doing away with all our guns.

• Jonathan says:

You might want to go back and re-read some of the liberal comments. They want to remove guns, no questions asked (at least from citizens, because the Gov’t would never use them illegally).

A ban on “assault weapons”? Whats an assault weapon? Anything that looks ‘dangerous’? Guess what there has been a full auto restriction since 1934, that severely taxed and restricted automatic weapons. My real question here is about “assault-weapons”. by breaking down compound word, we get Assault and Weapons. What is an Assault Weapon? Quite simply, a weapon that can be used in assault. Any weapon can be used in an assault. Therefore an “assault weapon” can be anything. Which is why I do not ever want it to be seen in a legal document. because what counts? does my .22 that looks like an AT-15 count? Its a bold action gun that I got so my son can goto the range with me (he isnt heavy enough to shoot my handguns or large caliber rifles).

I’ll also say this, a .17 can kill you, a .50 can kill you. A metal body pen can kill you. All of these things have been used in violet crimes. Gasoline has been used in a majority or arson cases. When are people going to stop blaming inanimate objects for crimes. We dont blame mirrors for making people anorexic (they look fat) why do we blame guns for murder when we should be blaming the way society handles violent crime.

This man did what was necessary to protect himself. But if I were him, I would be investing in a nice 12Ga.

• radioguy7 says:

You say no one has said they want to take away all guns. You are wrong, Sen. Dianne Feinstein has said several times that is what she wants to do, and would propose legislation to do just that, but she knows there is not enough support in the Senate to do that. Also Rep. Nancy Pelosi has said the same thing. You, I am sure will choose not to believe this, but you are very wrong. They are READY to do just that, to take ALL guns away. Wake up man!!

• cs78 says:

Anyone who knows history not just what they are told about history understands the “Bill of Rights” has multiple amendments condensed into individual amendments for ease. The Right of the PEOPLE to Keep and Bear Arms is separate from A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free STATE. Yes, they are in the same amendment but for two separate but equal purposes.

Your right to own guns is for not just the defense of the nation but the defense of yourself, property, and family. It is also a checks and balances system. Now is a crime to mention this portion but originally it caused voting for the good of the country and not the individual.

Also, if you do some research you will find several people claiming they want to take all guns away. Dianne and Nancy I know were on live TV and several other radicals running or in political seats.

If you would do your own research instead of watching CNN (I hate them because they had Jane Fonda on and made her out to be a Saint). She needs to be face down in a fire ant hill covered in honey. I do not believe what I see on TV, I have been killed twice and kidnapped once if you believe the news.

• Please educate yourself. Feinstein and Pelosi have said they want to ban guns. I realize its easier to BELIEVE they would not take your ability to protect yourself away. You are probably a nice person that wants to believe in the good of humanity and our government, but so did all the nicely behaved people that walked calmly into the gas chamber they also wanted to believe.

• Deerp!!! says:

well, if you stop and REALLY READ the constitution…. you’d realize that the way this country was FOUNDED was that the whole of the populace was to be an “unorganized militia” thus we SHOULD HAVE ACCESS to military grade and style small arms typical of infantry soldiers. yes, there are US Supreme court cases that deal with this very issue.
      also, what is the purpose of limiting the amount of ammo in a magazine? the only thing that does is limit the law abiding!! most criminals don’t just walk into a gun store to buy their weapons. they’d get kicked out by the NICS check!!

• Good Job, sorry you didnt get a chance to kill them both.

• Lindsey Jordan says:

Every person in the United States of America has the legal right to protect his home and everyone on his property with the use of a firearm under the Constitution. Our President is trying to take that right away from us. For what reason? I am sure the White House where he and his family live is highly protected by the use of firearms! Obama has proven to be a very dangerous threat to our country and should be thrown out of his position because of his very long list of lies. Have you ever wondered what he is really up to?

• russ says:

If a person has the audacity to enter private property. U should ulbeable to.shoot on sight. T he problem in this world is we have lost along the morals of what we are as gods. children. I believe we all should beable to kill anyone breaking in ur home.

• buzzword says:

I keep seeing comments that the homeowner should have shot.them dead, that it was not good shooting because he didn’t get both perps. Unless you are military or law enforcement I seriously doubt any of these people have been in a situation where they had to use a firearm in self defense. I have. You get tunnel vision. Your SA is vastly reduced. The adrenaline makes your hands shake. Fear makes your grip too tight and your trigger pull becomes less smooth and consistent. Not including the fact you are probably (had better be) moving to avoid personal harm. So I say excellent shooting. To you “better marksman” SHUT UP!

• Richard Fancey says:

we need more burglars shot…..maybe they will find a job

• Renee Nabors says:

I think there should be more people like the home owner. Not afraid to protect their property. How would you like it if someone was coming in through the window to steal your things. Way to go home owner. I am proud of you.