Memphis Officers Help Grandfather Keep Holiday Tradition

Posted on: 8:30 pm, November 23, 2013, by , updated on: 01:19pm, November 24, 2013

(Memphis) Police officers spent the cold Saturday outside, helping a Memphis grandfather get ready for the holidays.

Every year for the last 22 years Clayton Warling decorates his Berclair home for Christmas.

His Durbin Avenue yard is like no other.

This year a Ferris wheel, a carousel, even a roller coaster driven by Santa will be out front.

Warling says he does it all for the kids.

“What about your MLGW bill during this time of year?” asked WREG’s Elise Preston.

“Oh it’s not fun! Not fun!” replied Warling.

But as much as he loves spreading holiday cheer, Warling says he’s gotten too old to run around and do everything by himself.

So he tried to stop the tradition, but Memphis police officers who patrol his neighborhood wouldn’t let him.

“They said you are going to continue doing this,” said Warling.

They are helping him do just that, Memphis officers spent the weekend volunteering at the house.

“There is no words for it, it really is great,” expressed Warling.

Five-year-old Brycen Gardner can’t lift anything heavy, but he’s here to help. Last year he and his mom drove by the house.

“I saw the train tracks and some Christmas lights and the reindeers on the roof with a Santa in there,” recalled Brycen.

Brycen’s mom works for the Memphis Police Association.

She says it’s important for her son to see people helping others.

“We see everything on the news pertaining to our officers and I want to show him that people do care,” said Chassidy Gardner

Walring and his family say they couldn’t be happier for the help, so they can keep spreading holiday cheer to kids just like Brycen.

“It’s pretty awesome,” said Brycen.

The decorations will stay up through Christmas then Memphis officers will return to take them down.

• hateliberalcommies says:

God bless the police for this,,

• rachael says:

I have known this family for many years and what the ” concerned citizen” commented couldn’t be further from the truth!! Mr. Warling is a very kind and generous man. He and his family of kids and grandkids along with friends and mpd help put on a spectacle every year. Concerned citizen you should check your facts before falsely accusing someone of something so horrendous. I will pray for you.

Rachael, I must have been writing when you posted. I’d really like to know who the idiot who is hiding and posting.
      I hope you have Merry Christmas.

You believe, YOU BELIEVE!!! You need to be sure what you post. You need to be sure.
    I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

• rachael says:

Don, thank you :)) Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

• crystal says:

I look forward to his house every year!

• rachael says:

I take personal offense to the comment made by concerned citizen which has now been deleted. Fortunately there are legal ways of finding out who this person is. May I remind you, your actions have legal ramifications. This is defamation and slander. You should be a “concerned citizen” now.

• Clayton Warling says:

I am Clayton Warling, I didn’t get to see the post by “Concerned Ciitzen”, but I have received many calls as to what was posted. I have ways of finding out who this “Concerned Citizen” is .
    That comment is way beyond your concern and was of course a thirty year + conjured up lie of a divorce dispute.

• RICKY from WMCTV says:

please put “concerned citizen” in it’s place. this way the other commenters will see that you are responsible for your coward action on any website. wmctv shut theirs down because of the racism, hatred and bullying comments. wreg tv, please stop this non sense.

• Nita says:

Where is Durbin I would love to bring my children to see that people are still in the Christmas Spirit you barely see people decorate their house. Thanks