Off-Duty MPD Officer Caught on Camera Making Physical Arrest Some Call Excessive

Posted on: 3:21 pm, November 17, 2013, by , updated on: 08:04pm, November 17, 2013

(Memphis) An unidentified off-duty Memphis police officer is caught on camera repeatedly hitting a man in the middle of Oak Court Mall, prompting many to record the physical arrest on their cell phones in shock.

According to a police affidavit, the officer was working for the mall and not for the city.

In the video, Stedmon Fentress, backs away from an off Duty MPD Officer. He’s shown trying to dodge mace as he curses at the policeman.

“Get down when I tell you,” shouted out the officer.

The officer whips out his baton. Fentress tells him he’s leaving

“You ain’t fitting to roll nowhere,” replied the officer.

“The officer took his radio off his hip and threw it on the ground so he could be ready to fight,” said a witness who didn’t want to be identified. The witness recorded the arrest on his cell phone and sent it to News Channel 3.

The video then shows the officer repeatedly hits Fentress while he is on the ground covering his eyes.

“I think he took too harsh of an action too fast,” said the witness.

The scene unfolded Saturday evening at Oak Court Mall.

“Every time he got ready to hit him with the baton he maced him, I guess so he couldn’t fight back. Everybody was stick to their stomach,” said the witness.

There’s no video showing what led up to the encounter. But witnesses and a police arrest record say the officer was breaking up a verbal argument between Fentress and another man. Witnesses say Fentress rode down the escalator but not before he turned around and said something to the officer.

“I don’t know if he had a smart comment or he threatened him I don’t know what happened,” said the witness.

Whatever it was, “the guy had his back to the officer and the officer pushed him twice,” said the officer.

News Channel 3 sent the video to police who say at this time they can’t comment. The police arrest record says Fentress was hostile and refused to obey the officer. He’s now charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

“I didn’t think the guy was a threat,” said the witness.

Police records don’t mention the officer hitting Fentress even though we see it in the video. But it does say the officer maced the 21-year-old out of safety concerns. Witnesses believe the officer’s actions were excessive and not safe.

“There were little kids walking by, he was just spraying the mace so freely,” said the witness.

News Channel 3 looked up Fentress’ record and discovered he has been arrested in the past for aggravated assault, aggravated burglary and resisting arrest. News Channel 3 stopped by his address listed on the arrest report, but we are told he no longer lives there. We are still waiting to hear back from Oak Court Mall about the incident.

• Hard Truths says:

Just another day with MPD.

When are Memphians gonna WAKE UP and realize we have an out-of-control, unprofessional police force?

• Tim says:

What? I’ll wait for the video and facts. What we know now is a thug was acting like a thug and a police officer stopped it.

• SaTonya Thomas says:

Well everyone, to clear this up this young man is my cousin he is my age and very sweet.Im not just saying that. He iz in no way a thug all though he may look as such.. no one knows his situation he was a foster kid and yes he has dobe a few inexcusable things …neved harmed anyone but he has to eat and he has been punished ..do you see how ge didnt fight back.. people should not be so quick to judge..I have beaten him up mysslf and the guy is puny..this was svidently unnecessary thanks

• Tim says:

Is he an honor student too?

• Terrie says:

Yo sa, you dont know MY situtation either but I dont go around cussing at cops! Since he has a rap sheet the cop was protecting his-self! How was he supposed to know the guy didnt have a gun?? YOU even said he looks like a thug! haha!

• Nika says:

Satonya, I know the officer and this is something he has done several times. Please contact me preciouslove_38114@yahoo.com. I have some information that will help your cousin and by the way the officer is Bob Parker jr.

• SaTonya Thomas says:

Dont be ignorant that is superfluous commentary and Im not gonna entertain whether he is or isnt.The whole purpose of me making those statements were to state that perception is fallacious .I understand we are fed up with crime but at the same time anyone justifying that abuse is clearly easily manipulated.I just urge any man to do there research before rash judgement and any fool knows that news media is not the most credible source smh

• SaTonya Thomas says:

And for the record he is filing a lawsuit..so let the courts decide

• Greg says:

Its called thug protection. You try, try and try to protect people but they’re so quick to go against the police and side with a thug! Wreg love reporting misinterpreted information!

• Hard Truths says:

It’s on Channel 3 right now. Watch it.

NOT good for the cop.

Why do Memphis police act as though they’re ABOVE THE LAW?

And why does DA Amy Weirich support police who act above the law?

• ambje10@gmail.com says:

It says at the bottom of the article that the young man has a history of aggravated robbery, etc and resisting arrest. Perhaps this officer knew the boy and knew he’d have trouble and knew he’d have to get the upper hand immediately and keep it.

• Joe Williams says:

Hard Truths sounds like a 201 regular…

• Tim says:

I watched it now. There is nothing egregious the cop did. It looked entirely proper

If they police the place maybe it will be longer before they play taps and lower the flag as they lock the place up for good.

• Bozo the Clown says:

Oak Court Mall is going the Way Raliegh Spings Mall and City of Memphis Mall did…doomed for thug forced closing

• Tim says:

You left out Peabody Place. First day it opened my brother said, “Jack Belz sure built the thugs a nice place to hang out”. Another friend had her child walked over by a bunch of thugs as they laughed. She was there to spend money – they weren’t. She left, they stayed…

• Bozo the Clown says:

Just like the former Memphis City School thug system.

• Tunica kid says:

If I was a Memphis police officer I would stop working. The Officer would not be in “trouble” if he just walked away. Allow the men to fight and maybe arrest the winner. I dont know how to do open heart surgery but I dont hear anyone Monday Morning quarterback them like they do police officers. A Officer job is difficult. They are human beings and they make mistakes. there has been only one perfect person on this earth and he was been gone a long time.

• Bozo the Clown says:

Even Wolfchase Mall in under attack from the thugs…bunch of lowlifes

• Mike says:

Again, why did this make news? This is nothing more than a individual who would not yield to the demands of authority. Right or wrong, when they give you an order you should follow it. If they arrest you, so be it. The courts are there to sort out the facts.

You are guaranteed to appear guilty if you resist arrest as this young man did.

The news should stop victimizing our police departments in my opinion. I like everyone else would prefer to avoid their attention, however they are individuals doing hard jobs. The day will come when we are in need of their willingness to step between us and what we perceive as a danger. What a shame when the day comes and we ask for help and they tell us it’s no longer in their procedures.

• Excellent post Mike… I couldn’t have said it better myself!!

• Jo says:

Wait…. I thought that the news, and MPD, stated that the officer was actually working as a security guard for the Oak Court Mall and not acting as a police officer for the MPD. I could be wrong, but do private, civilian, security personnel have the same authority and arrest power as actual “on-duty” police officers????

• shon bunns says:

Good job to the Memphis Police Department for keep us safe from these thugs on the street. For all The people that are against MPD, for putting this thug in place, when he break in your house or rob you, dont call the police.

• Hard Truths says:

Authority must act within the law, and within the restraints of their training.

A lot of the thugs are working for MPD — and don’t seem to understand that, or care.

It is fundamental to a civilized society that the police behave WITHIN the restrictions of the law.

• Daddy says:

Like I said before, all the law enforcement needs to take a few days off and see how things go. People complain when they don’t need help, yet who do they call when they do? Let them figure it out themselves since they wanna bash on the people who protect them.

• Daddy says:

I don’t remember the last time the media aired anything about law enforcement saving someone’s rear end. Just always hear the complaining. Media is a joke.

• Deja Brew says:

That’s what police officers, security guards, etc. do and it’s not going to end. The officer won’t be in trouble because WREG adds the guy’s old background to make him look like thug. Gotta love Memphis because they love bullies!

• Hard Truths says:

Memphis has a strong, deep, virulent undercurrent of thuggery,

This is not a normal First World city or region.

• mission says:

We need to rid our city of all the majority of people who look like Herenton.

• Hard Truths says:

Andrew Jackson set a precedent for thuggery that white Memphis has always embraced. The whites here are as bad as anybody else here.

• Carl Knight says:

They need a leader. Tony is not that.

• Hard Truths says:

Except that I wonder who would do better.

• Hard Truths says:

We have a bunch of street thugs and cowboys in MPD, and I don’t know WHO could control them. These guys are totally into defying their leadership and hating the public.

• steven crouch says:

I think the thug was challenging the officer for no good reason and he applied proper force. Big shock that wreg has a negative police story. Wreg goes out of there way to make police look bad. Im guessing their producer must have either been arrested or ticketed recently.

• Hard Truths says:

On what do you base that characterization?

You know, WREG is sitting on a lot of videos of this incident.

Perhaps it’ll be worth having a look. It’s obvious that a lot of cops are posting here tonight. Making furtive gestures and acting very defensive.

• Greg says:

The police have rights as well, its called freedom of speech. What wreg is doing is slandering officers, and a police department. Police should let the thugs continue to kill everyday because once they gett caught by the police, wreg will get yall off your charge. Wreg makes a very good law frim!

• Cary Miller says:

Proper force is macing someone and hitting them with a baton? For doing what? Maybe the officer should have waited for back-up.

• Jeff Riley says:

So typical for people nowadays, jump to an uninformed conclusion to blame the police. You can’t tell what led up to this clip, and it doesn’t appear to be excessive force for an officer dealing with a combative person without backup. People want to complain about the police at any turn. How about supporting them if you want to live in a safe city.

• Victor says:

Is thug a new code word for the bigots?

• Norman Layne Sr. says:

That officer has a job you couldn’t give me. I have been given tickets in the past that I didn’t think I deserved,but I never talked back and smart mouthed a officer. Also if the thug had kept his mouth shut and obeyed the officer nothing would have happened. I support the officer and I will call him instead of the punk when I need help.

• ProBlue says:

First off OFF DUTY or not as long as he is in that uniform he is a POLICE OFFICER and has been commissioned to protect and serve… 2nd his presence alone should have been enough to shut down whatever argument was going on … 3rd, I watched the video too and the officer repeatedly told the punk to get down as well as macing him (eg. RESISTING OFFICIAL DETENTION) and when this CLOWN STILL would not comply the officer did exactly what he should have done and struck him about the thigh area with his asp/baton .. Now say what you will but had he turned away from the incident people would still be complaining!!! This noncompliance to verbal commands from a police officer is what the city of Memphis has come to but at the end of the day all thugs and punks had better comply civilly because a Police Officers main concern is to return home to their families unscathed!

• ProBlue, I completely agree with you! I watched the video, and if he had done what the officer told him to, NONE of what followed would have happened. I don’t know, maybe it’s because I was RAISED RIGHT, but I was taught to OBEY the law, and if a police officer told you to shut up, you did. If he told you to get down, you did, if he told you to spread them you did! I never encountered anything more than a couple of speeding tickets, but as soon as I saw the officers wheels start to turn, I knew he had me, and I pulled over, pretty much before he even got his lights on and got turned around. By the time he got to my window, I had my license outside the window and was apologizing to him for speeding. I knew I was in the wrong. I didn’t argue or cuss him, heck, I even thanked him and told him to have a nice day after he gave me the ticket. One time when my daughter was little, she asked me why I didn’t try to get out of it, I told her because I was in the wrong, I was speeding, so I had to accept my punishment. I was taught to RESPECT law enforcement, not disobey and fight them… like what has been seen on TV this week with the Memphis woman fleeing with her kids in Mexico, and this kid in the mall. I would have a fit and be all over my now grown kids if they ever acted that way toward a police officer. They know better, they have been raised better, and better act better than that.

• Victor says:

Get over it clown your daughters love them

• MayorMcCheese says:

Only the stupid females out there go for these types of dudes. You know, the type of female that does not have a “real life”, watches way too much television, and has a case of the BROKEN TOY SYNDROME, where they think they can take a flawed individual, without not too many redeeming qualities to begin with and turn them into something acceptable to society. Good luck with that, silly females. Turning a man-child into a gentleman works all fine and dandy on a weekly TV series, but in real life, it’s a little harder to do.

• Hard Truths says:

Those who don’t think the police should be made to obey the law seem to be quite the rough and ready bunch.

I think a lot of posters are police, who, in Memphis, are little better than a street gang themselves. Professional is not the word for them.

• Daddy says:

ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT GO ON STRIKE AND SEE WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT WHAT. MAYBE THESE IDIOTS WILL START RESPECTING AND THANK THESE GUYS AND GIRLS FOR WHAT THEY DO, DEAL WITH AND THE SACRAFICES THEY AND THEIR FAMILY GIVES TO THESE IDIOTS WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM.

• Marrk says:

Ill bet this will not bring any outrage from Al Sharpton. If this had been an off duty white MPD officer there would be rioting in the streets. Wonder if Jessie Jackson and the “Rev” Al Sharpton will be holding a press conference in Memphis tomorrow. This is outrageous, and will probably be overlooked by “civil rights” leaders. This “officer” will probably go back to work doing the same things next week. The plight of the downtrodden black man is only a plight when white authority is to blame. Shame shame!

• Marrk says:

Memphis has a deep culture of neanderthalism. The biggest and baddest animal takes it all. Why work for what you need/want when you can simply take it from someone who has worked for it. Education and civility means nothing if you cant fight. Its the law of the Jungle plain and simple

• Hard Truths says:

So true, both of gangbangers and of cops. Of all colors.

We have a SERIOUS problem here in Memphis with this police force.

• Joe Williams says:

Failure to comply to lawful orders… good job by the cop. Sorry but the ghetto lottery will be denied.

• ProBlue says:

If people would simply educate themselves and learn some simple self respect and respect for authority there would be no need to be classified as ” downtrodden blacks”. … A thug is a thug is a thug, if you act like one you’ll be treated like one, I’m so sick of people playing the small minded race card,,, NO ONE CAN KEEP YOU DOWN BUT YOU!!!!

• r says:

Lord help us all…those of you calling this guy a thug really want to call him something else. You troll comment sections and say things you are not brave enought to anywhere else. Also what does his past have to do with now? He appeared to be trying to go about his business.

• ProBlue says:

When you are given a verbal command by a police officer you must COMPLY, THERE IS NO ” he was trying to leave” what part of this don’t you people get, stop deflecting and taking up for nonsense. This fool, clown, thug, ignoramus or whatever you want to call him should have been obedient, something that should have been learned at HOME….. Let’s just be clear this is no race thing, I vehemently teach my three BLACK SONS how to act in public, how NOT to wear their clothes and how to speak and react to AUTHORITY, so as not to be grouped in with the stereotypes. If we’re going to pray for the “Lord to help us all” lets start with the lessons that need to be taught at home, so they won’t have to be taught out in the street, whether it be by a Police Officer or anyone else!!!!

• Bill says:

Do ya’ll not understand what is apparent to everyone who does not live in Memphis? Memphis has rough police because the people who live there are fat, lazy and refuse to protect themselves. This thug, (yes he is a thug, he acts like a thug ((rap sheet)), he dresses like a thug ((video)) and he talks like a thug) is a blemish on the rap sheet of society. I’m not passing judgement, I’m stating facts. If you are stupid enough to defend this POS you are part of the problem and deserve whatever you get.

• Hard Truths says:

I want the cops to OBEY THE LAW THEMSELVES.

Obviously, you don’t think so. So WHAT IS YOUR AGENDA?

Are you wearing blue sheets?

• MayorMcCheese says:

Look, you can’t have it both ways.If this little heathen was terrorizing you and your family at the mall, you would be wondering where is security.But, when some one actually does the job he was paid to do, people want to break out the violins and scream “excessive force”. Really this was a violent thug that was reprimanded in the only way his type understands, brute force. I bet he’ll think twice about going to that mall again and showing out.

• MayorMcCheese says:

supposed to be “with” not without….

• dave says:

It is funny to me how many feel about the police. Some are bad like every profession, but I wish the police would leave this city for a month and let most of you know what it would really be like without them. Oh but most of the people that dont like the police are the thugs.

• MayorMcCheese says:

I had to come back and say this. @Victor, you are right. That is the very reason Memphis has a nasty case of the S.A.M.s when it comes to men. You have these silly women here in this town who help, coddle, and enable these grown men who have no other talent but being brutal. These ignoramuses then go on to breed and make copies of themselves, thus making the problem worse in this valley of heathens called Memphis. I hate to agree with you, but I do.

• NoMoreForMe says:

This is precisely why I choose to do all my shopping online. I no longer frequent malls, movie theaters, or early in the morning, restaurants these Darwinian throwbacks might gather in large packs. Too many feral children roaming the streets of this city and not enough zoos to cage them all.

• 1midtownmike says:

Urbanize it, and in time it will be ruined.

• 1midtownmike says:

Urbanize it, and it will be ruined.

• Skeptic says:

The issues I have is (1) we don’t know what started the problem. (2) Don’t know why the SECURITY GUARD was involved. (3) You can’t hear what is being said by Fentress. (4) What happened BEFORE the video started. The media is so one-sided here and everywhere. Also, if I see a security guard in a MPD uniform, that officer should be on duty. If not on duty, that uniform should be not worn.

• rahul says:

Why is he wearing his MPD uniform if he is not working for the city?

• Hard Truths says:

Why do you keep repeating yourself?

• Thomas H. Evans says:

I don’t know the last time some of you posting on here last visited the Oak Court Mall, but it is nothing like it once was when I first moved here to this city. I once upon a time would go to the mall on a Saturday morning, get a cup of coffee and piece of pumpkin cake from Star Bucks, sit back and enjoy. Now, the thugs have taken over, and I, like many others, don’t feel safe at that mall any more. I am not a police officer, but completely agree with the way the officer dealt with the situation. The average person today don’t realize how disrespectful our young people are when it come to dealing with people in authority, not just police officer, but teachers, preachers, etc. The person posting on here about what a good boy he is, then where were you when he was resisting arrest in the past. All this kid/thug had to do was do what ever the officer was asking him to do, why does it always have to be the officer that should give in to the thugs on our streets today? To be continued at the Wolfchase Mall!!

• NoMoreForMe says:

Really, Is that all YOU PEOPLE think about, the size of your reproductive organ? By your reasoning, maybe we should all just base our society around that issue. I don’t want the SMARTEST guy in the room to operate on me or my family if they are sick or injured, or design the cars I drive, or actually create things of value. No, let the guy with the biggest Johnson do all of that. LOL! urbanites, don’t you just love em’.

• Joe Williams says:

Abz, the adults are talking right now, ok pal.? We can talk about your fascination with the male anatomy some other time, ok?

• Jon says:

Memphis police are garbage every other week there is a story on the news robbing someone, breaking into a house, assaulting someone, raping someone, or trying to get ex felons to blow them. That’s why when they pull me over I’m a dick

• SickofBS says:

Why is he consider a thug???, is it because of how he looks, the way he wear his clothes or hair or is it solely because he’s black. One thing about living is we all do something that we are not proud of and the media is so responsible on how Memphis is represented and looked at through out other cities. This police officer was not acting as a sworn office to protect and serve the people, he felt that he was above the law and he acted as a thug in which people are calling the person in the video. Regardless of what was said that office knows how to respond in those kind of situations and he didn’t respond accordingly. Suppose this young man was really a “thug” and this officer approached him and he had a gang of buddies in the mall and they are the kind of “thugs” that don’t have any respect for anyone and started a riot while you and your children where their, should I go on then you would be speaking a different language. Memphis is going to hell in a nut basket!!!!!

• Joe Williams says:

That whole neighborhood is ruined…. not just the mall. Go to any restaurant around Poplar and Perkins on a Friday or Saturday night. A bunch a thugs and savages who don’t know how to act in public, have no respect for anyone or themselves, and consistently try to hustle restaurants out of free meals after eating most of it. Memphis is a huge toilet that is stopped up with useless terds and should have been flushed years ago.

• y says:

as a black business man..just another thug..no bags so he is not shopping…just in the mall walking around creating trouble…get the thugs out the malls..putting malls and business owners out of business..
    officer did nothing wrong…..

• Hard Truths says:

Why won’t the police fan club here admit that the police are supposed to obey the law themselves?

It is clear that it’s a subject that they (cops, mostly) want very much to avoid.

• Hard Truths says:

We need to make the cops obey the law.

Who as a problem with that, and why?

• Hard Truths says:

Cops need to be MADE to obey the law themselves.

Who has a problem with that? WHY?

• Daddy says:

Tipton county law don’t play so Memphis can keep there thugs

• Shannon says:

NICE!!! Let’s see a replay!!

• Crazy_place says:

He should learn some respect for officers and not run his mouth. I hope it teaches more of the thugs around Memphis that this can happen if they show disrespect. I hope they pat the officer on the back.

• R says:

No Joe you are the reason that Memphis is like it is; It appeared to me that he was trying to go about his business…but my view is different from yours; you probably are good God fearing christian that believes in constitution without any amendments and fyi I don’t live in Memphis I live in Cordova and I’m probably your neighbor…

• Joe Williams says:

Yea, I heard Cordova was going to he11 in a hand basket. Looks like you ruined that neighborhood too. Hickory Hood, act 2.