Beware of Typhoon Haiyan Relief Scams
(Memphis) It’s another unfortunate consequence of disaster.
Crooks are trying to take advantage of people hoping to donate to the relief effort in the Philippines.
Several government agencies issued alerts about the problem including the Federal Trade Commission, FBI and the Department of Justice.
Here are a few tips for consumers who want to donate:
- Stick with familiar charities/names
- Avoid giving to organizations that have seemingly popped up overnight
- Ask the caller if they’re a paid fundraiser and who they work for
- Inquire about where your donation will do and how it will be used
- Investigate the charity at sites like Charity Navigator and Guide Star
- Don’t send cash
- Be hesitant before giving out any personal, financial information
If you suspect fraud, contact the National Center for Disaster Fraud hotline at 866-720-5721.