Two House Fires in East Memphis Neighborhood, Two Firefighters Injured
(Memphis) Two East Memphis families try to figure out where they will now call home.
The first fire happened on Gwynne Road Sunday morning. A single father and his son escaped a propane tank explosion.
Investigators said someone accidentally knocked the propane tank over, and the water heater ignited the fire.
“We had several people call and tell us the house next door to us was on fire. We are glad everyone got out okay,” said one neighbor.
Hours later, firefighters battled a second fire on Collingworth. The blaze spread through the attic.
Investigators said it started from food left on the stove.
Crews said the flames got so intense, it sent two firefighters to the hospital. They say a piece of ceiling fell on one of the firefighters.
“One suffered a back injury. The other firefighter had a possible head injury,” said Keith Staples with Memphis Fire Department.
Crews said the single mother who lived in the home and her son got out safely. The two stood on the street. Tears streamed down their face.
Crews said it’s unusual to see two house fires happen so close to each other on the same day.
The firefighters hurt were released from the hospital with minor injuries.