Halloween's over, but you don't have to throw your pumpkins out.
There are several ways to reuse them!
Lifestyle expert J J Keras shows us how.
1) PUMPKIN PIE FACE MASK
The meat of the pumpkin is full of enzymes, Vitamins A and C. No need to go to the spa to get your pumpkin mask. Use fresh pumpkin and start glowing! Follow my formula –
- 2 tablespoons cooked, pureed pumpkin
- 1 tsp. of honey
- 2 tablespoons of plain or (coconut!) yogurt
- 1 tsp. of brown sugar (optional exfoliant)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and apply to face for 15 minutes, rinse with warm water. It smells delicious, is 100% edible and delicious for breakfast as well!
2) CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN SPICE MUFFINS
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup REAL pumpkin
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ semisweet chocolate chips or ¾ depending on your chocolate love!
Mix eggs, brown sugar and oil (or applesauce). Add pumpkin and water. In a separate bowl, mix together the baking soda, flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Add mixture and stir in chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
3) COMPOST FOR YOUR YARD
Discard pumpkins in your yard as compost and let nature do the work! But remember to remove the seeds and any leftover candle wax. You can also donate leftover pumpkins to your local zoo because the animals love to play with and eat them. However, this wasn’t the case at my local zoo as most of the animals are on a special diet! Call your zoo before you make your delivery.
4) ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
Roasting pumpkin seeds is always a family favorite. After you roast them, put them in a container with raisins and other dried fruit for a continued nutritious snack, on top of a salad or on your oatmeal. Pumpkin seeds are filled with magnesium, protein, iron and zinc.
When carving your pumpkin, pick out pumpkins seeds, wash them under cold water so there are no signs of pumpkin guts. Spread single layer on a baking sheet, drizzle extra virgin olive oil, bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes and ENJOY!
5) PUMPKIN DRINKS
Using fresh pumpkin puree in your cocktail is the perfect late Saturday afternoon treat.
- 2 oz of tequila
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- splash of pumpkin puree
- rim a cocktail glass with lime juice
- salt and pumpkin seeds (grind your seeds up!)
For an after dinner drink, try a Pumpkin Smash!
- 2 oz. pumpkin puree
- 1 oz. spiced rum
- ½ tsp. cream
- ½ tsp. milk
- cinnamon for garnish
- rim with sugar
- Big Jim's Punkin Patch and Christmas Trees
- Different locations throughout Memphis
- 1) 6777 Stage Road Bartlett, TN 38134
- 2) Poplar and S. Cooper in Ike's parking lot
- 3) Poplar and 240 in Target parking lot
- Party Concepts
- 2197 Central Avenue
- Memphis, TN 38104
- Burlap table cloth - $10.50