Three Charged In Cemetery Thefts Planned To Re-Sell Flowers And Memorial Items

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Alcorn Co., MS) It's a crime that will leave you shaking your head.

Three people in Alcorn County, Miss., are in jail, accused of stealing thousands of dollars worth of flowers and other memorials from cemeteries around Corinth.

Investigator Reggie Anderson thought he'd "seen it all" serving on the Alcorn County Sheriff's Department.

That is until three people were busted for stealing thousands of dollars in flowers, and other memorials from cemeteries near Corinth.

"It's very unusual. I mean, we hear of people stealing stuff everyday. But stealing from a graveyard pretty much takes the cake," Anderson said.

Anderson said Henry Cemetery, Forrest Memorial Cemetery and cemeteries in the Farmington and Rienzi communities were targeted.

The Alcorn County Sheriff's property room is full of recovered flowers, ribbons, angels and crosses, possibly taken over a year's time.

Kevin Eugene Gunn, Angela Renee Gunn and Theresa Gail Robertson, from Corinth, are charged with felony destruction of property.

And there's more to the crime.

The trio recently obtained a business license and opened Angela's Flowers and Gifts in Corinth.

"Their intent was to put in a flower shop, a florist, and actually resell the items that had been stolen from cemeteries," explained Investigator Reggie Anderson.

A tip from the public led deputies to the store and to the home of one of the suspects where they recovered the stolen items.

Angela's Flowers and Gifts never opened for business.

Monday, Marsha Holder from near Booneville, Miss., brought her father to Forrest Memorial Cemetery to visit his cousin's gravesite.

She said the thefts are deplorable.

"It shows you that the morals of the country are going down when you get somebody that does something like this. Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs, " Marsha Holder said.

Investigators said there were sympathy cards attached to some of the recovered flowers that dated back to November of 2012.


Comments are closed.