Labor day picnics call for finger foods and Chef Jenn is here with ideas for quick and easy Crostinis.
Get creative and put your own twist on any of these delicious combinations:
1. Peach, Ricotta and Prosciutto Crostini Drizzled with Aged Balsamic Vinegar
-simply spread 1T ricotta on toasted baguette slice. Top with a peach wedge wrapped in prosciutto and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
2. Ricotta, Roasted Okra and Bacon Jam Crostini
- prepare jam (recipe follows). Top toast with 1T ricotta, small amount of bacon jam, and one piece of roasted okra
3. Ricotta, Pork Tender and Grilled Corn Crostini
- top toast with Ricotta, slice of tenderloin and a small amount of corn
- I use a pork rub and grill the tenderloin. If you make it the day before and refrigerate it is easier to slice.
- Grill one corn cob. Place directly on grill and cook until slightly charred in all sides. Mix that with 1/4 cup caramelized, chopped shallots and small amount of jalapeño. Serve warm.
4. Ricotta, Slow Roasted Tomatoes, Pine Nuts and Honey Crostini
- top toast with 1T ricotta, tomatoes, pine nuts. Drizzle with honey and a sprinkle of fleur de sel (sea salt)
Slow Roasted Tomatoes
1 10 oz. container of grape tomatoes
2 T honey
1 T olive oil
3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
Preheat oven to 275. Toss ingredients and place cut side up on a baking sheet. Cook for 1.5 hours. Make day of and leave at room temp until ready to use. Can be frozen. Also great in sauces and pasta salad.
Bacon Jam (2 cups)
1 lb thick cut bacon
4 cups chopped onion
½ cup water
¼ cup bacon grease
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 T Dijon mustard
2 Tsp Worcestershire
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
½ maple syrup
Salt and pepper
Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and cook in heavy pan until crispy. Drain bacon. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon grease. Put grease and bacon back into pot. Add onions and cook until soft (about 10 minutes). Then add rest of ingredients and allow to simmer for about an hour. The jam will be reduced and syrup like. Allow to cool. Pulse in blender a few times to break up chunks. Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve jam warm on grilled meats, game, grits! This taste great on everything!!! Will keep refrigerated for two weeks.
Preheat oven to 450. Toss okra with sea salt, olive oil and pepper. Bake on roasting pan for about 15 minutes or until crispy.