Deadly Double Shooting Stems From Robbery And Retaliation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Memphis) Robbery and retaliation led to a deadly double shooting in North Memphis.

One man is dead, another is recovering at home, and neighbors fear the shootings aren’t over.

The family identified the name of the man recovering at home as Tim.

Tim’s family said that Wednesday night, someone tried to rob him overnight while he was hanging out at a home in 1000 block of Kney.

Tim shot and killed his attacker in self-defense.

“I just happen to get up and go to the bathroom and see the lights flashing at the door right there,” said 86-year-old Horace Hill.

Hill has lived in the same house since the '60s and calls the crime on his street out of hand.

“It's bad. It ain't like it was when I first moved here,” said Hill.

Even Wednesday night, the shootings continued.

Tim’s family says hours later, someone came after them in retaliation, shooting out windows at their home on Coppock Street.

Nobody was hurt, including several children inside the home.

“This is sad times are already hard, we struggling as it is. We need to get along and work together as people,” said neighbor Belinda Roby.

Jeremy Jamal heard the first shooting, walked outside and learned his friend and classmate was killed.

“I'm just paying respects for a hot second. He ain’t no bad person. I can’t see him doing anything."

But Tim’s family says the alleged robber did do something wrong and it led to his death.

So far, no arrests have been made.

If you know anything about the two shootings, call crime stoppers at 528-CASH.

Kney is no stranger to crime.

In June, a 16-year-old was gunned down.

Police say Quinton Wallace was involved in a shootout with a group of men.

Wallace was found dead in a driveway.

A little more than a year ago, 18 drug arrests in four homes were made on Kney.

Police called the homes a haven for drugs, and boarded them up.

According to investigators, between April 2011 and April 2012, there had been 18 drug related arrest and several other criminal arrests involving those four homes.