Soldier On Trial For Fort Hood Terror Shooting
(Killeen, Texas) “I am the shooter,” Army Maj. Nidal Hasan told a military court Tuesday morning as his court-martial opened.
Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, is representing himself in the trial, in which he’s accused of killing 13 people and 32 counts of attempted murder in the 2009 attack.
He told the judge he plans to call two witnesses during the court-martial.
Prosecutors hope to show that the devout Muslim had undergone a “progressive radicalization,” giving presentations in defense of suicide bombings and about soldiers conflicted between military service and their religion when such conflicts result in crime.
“My complicity was on behalf of a government that openly acknowledges that it would hate for the law of Almighty Allah to be the supreme law of the land,” the 42-year-old Army psychiatrist said in a statement sent to Fox News.
A military judge ruled last week that the prosecution can introduce evidence of Hasan’s Internet searches on jihad and the Taliban in the days and hours before the rampage, but has deferred a ruling on whether they can introduce other materials.
The shooting was in an area where most people are unarmed. Hasan used a personal gun and was taken down by a civilian officer who still had her weapon.
Chief Warrant Officer Christopher Royal, who survived the shootings with two bullet wounds to his back, will testify in the case.
Due to military rules, Hasan continues to be paid by the military and has earned more than $300,000 since the attack.