Autozone Liberty Bowl announces Date and Time for 2013
Memphis, TN — The 2013 AutoZone Liberty Bowl will be played Tuesday, December 31 at 3 p.m. CST and will be televised on ESPN. More AutoZone Liberty Bowl games have been played on the popular December 31 afternoon date than any other date over the Bowl’s 55-year history.
“December 31st at 3 p.m. is a great date and time for fans to attend the game and for those who will be watching on ESPN,” said Steve Ehrhart, Executive Director of the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. “The AutoZone Liberty Bowl is proud to secure this much coveted television window as part of ESPN’s New Year’s Eve Day lineup of games. The December 31st date provides the AutoZone Liberty Bowl a terrific opportunity to showcase two outstanding universities, the Memphis community and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to a national and international audience watching on ESPN.”
“The AutoZone Liberty Bowl has become a huge part of the New Year’s Eve celebration in Memphis,” stated Ehrhart. “The afternoon of December 31st has essentially become a national holiday. We look forward to hosting thousands of out of town visitors who will enjoy ringing in the New Year with the Bowl and a massive party on Beale Street which culminates with a guitar drop at midnight!”
The AutoZone Liberty Bowl is one of ESPN/ABC’s longest running bowl partners. ABC televised the Bowl beginning in 1964 and continued from 1966 to 1980. The Bowl has been televised every year by ESPN/ABC since 1990. Over its long history, the AutoZone Liberty Bowl has a consistent record of delivering outstanding and compelling games.
- The AutoZone Liberty Bowl was founded in 1959, making it the seventh oldest bowl game in America
- 58 different universities have participated in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl
- The Bowl’s 55-year history has featured many of college football’s greatest coaches and players: Bear Bryant, Tom Osborne, Steve Spurrier, Urban Meyer, and Heisman Trophy winners Ernie Davis, Terry Baker, Doug Flutie and Bo Jackson
- The AutoZone Liberty Bowl has a history of thrilling, competitive games. Eight of the last nine games have been decided on the last possession with a 5-point average margin of victory
- The AutoZone Liberty Bowl has an annual economic impact of $23 million to $25 million on the local Memphis economy
For more information about the AutoZone Liberty Bowl or to order tickets, call the AutoZone Liberty Bowl at (901) 795-7700 or visit the Bowl online at www.AutoZoneLibertyBowl.org.