Elderly Siblings Escape Fire In Waterford, MS

(Marshall County, MS) A sister and brother in Marshall County, Mississippi miraculously escape a fire that destroys their home.

It happened Sunday morning in the Waterford community, 15 miles south of Holly Springs.

71-year-old Hattie Pitts and her brother 67-year old McNeil Pitts lost all their possessions, but count themselves lucky to be alive.

“They say there’s no place like home. And that’s the truth,” Pitts said.

But the reality for Hattie Pitts and her brother McNeil is their home is gone.

It burned to the ground Sunday morning.

71-year-old Hattie started the chilly morning as she normally would, “I had took my ashes out of the heater and put wood in there, fixin’ to start my fire and everything.”

She then lit some paper at the kitchen stove and walked through her bedroom to the cast iron heater in the living room.

She didn’t notice a small piece of the burning paper had fallen on the floor,

“I come back through there and the whole bed was on fire,” she said.

Her brother,  67-year-old McNeil Pitts, or MC as he’s know, was in his room nearby, “And my sister come in and she said, ‘MC the house is on fire, the house is on fire.”

McNeil, who’s lost both legs to diabetes, did what he could, “So I went in there and tried to put the fire out, but I couldn’t. I got burned in the lip, got burned on the nose, nose got burned trying to put the fire out.”

He and his sister managed to get out, but Hattie says their home and all their memories were gone, “Yea, I was born there, brought up there, raised there. went to the fields, choppin’ cotton everyday.”

Hattie and MC are now living with their brother Paul who is overwhelmed by what happened Sunday morning, “It’s kind of hard for me to talk to you. I’m just thankful that they got out safe.”

The 83-year old is glad to open his home and heart to his siblings,

“I want them to feel like they are at home. But it’s hard for them.”

Hattie and McNeil Pitts are in need of clothing, money and a place to live.

If you’re interested in helping the sister and brother affected by this devastating fire, you can call Paul Pitts at: 662-252-1088.