Families Escape Burning Duplex

jackson duplex fire

(Memphis) Thirteen people, including six children, escaped a burning duplex in North Memphis early Tuesday morning.

Most of the people living in the duplex in the 3100 block of Jackson are relatives.

They were asleep when the fire happened.

They say a friend staying at the duplex heard the smoke detector go off and helped everyone make it out alive.

“He was getting everyone out of the house. He was saying ‘everybody get out of the house. There is a fire,” said Ashley Robinson.

Firefighters were able to put the fire out in about 20 minutes, but at least half of the duplex was gutted by the flames.

Investigators say the fire was started by someone smoking in bed.

Family members are thankful no one was hurt, but say they lost everything.

“Clothes, shoes, money. All of it,” said Robinson.

The Red Cross and relatives are now helping the family.

Filed in: News

Topics: ,

Suggest a correction

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,375 other followers