Student Killed In Apartment Fire Near U of M Campus
(Memphis) A University of Memphis student died in an early morning fire near the campus.
The fire broke out just before 3 a.m. in the 3400 block of Carnes Ave., near Highland.
Paul Horbelt, a junior at the U of M was found in a bedroom.
James Ekwensi woke up choking because his bedroom was full of smoke.
At first, he thought his apartment was on fire, “I ran out and ran into the living room and I just ran out of the house. I was just in my drawers and no shoes on.”
In all, four units were damaged in the fire.
Memphis fire officials say the fire appears to have started in the front of the apartment.