Man Being Booked Knocks Out Memphis Police Officer

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Memphis) A man is in jail after punching a Memphis police officer during the booking process.

According to several sources, the suspect used to be a West Memphis police officer.

Thirty-one-year-old Dewayne Anthony Jones was initially pulled over as he was traveling westbound on Winchester Rd. Police said he was passing traffic in the turn-only lane.

Jones had identification, but no proof of insurance. When the officer asked the person in the passenger seat for identification, Jones told that passenger not to hand it over.

Jones requested a lieutenant to make the scene. When the lieutenant arrived, Jones refused to sign his traffic ticket. When asked to step out of the car, Jones also refused. The officer reached through the window to unlock the car, and Jones started to roll his window up on the officer's arm.

Officers were then in the process of putting Jones in the back of a squad car when he lunged backward against the officer. Jones requested an ambulance, but when the ambulance arrived, Jones refused treatment.

When Jones arrived at 201 Poplar for booking, Memphis Officer L. Buckhold uncuffed Jones and told him to sit down as paperwork was processed.

Police say Jones refused and yelled that he didn't have to.

When Officer Buckhold tried to take Jones to his seat, Jones allegedly punched Buckhold in the face, giving him a concussion.

Buckhold was transported to Methodist in non-critical condition, and Jones was transported to The MED.

Jones's last address was in West Memphis, where a former neighbor, Brian Smith, said Jones was a West Memphis police officer.

"He had the uniform and everything," Smith said.

Smith said Jones was quiet and kept to himself. Jones moved to Memphis more than six months ago.

"That's crazy...I can't believe it," Smith said.

Other sources also told News Channel 3 Jones used to be an officer with the West Memphis Police but that he left last year.

We were attempted to reach Chief Oakes for this story, but were not able to talk to him before the newscast.