Smoke Clears Beale Diner
(Beale Street) A fire broke out in the wee hours of this morning at the Blues City Café at Beale and second.
No one was hurt, but it made for plenty of excitement.
The popular Blues City Café was filled with late night customers Sunday morning when the place started filling with smoke.
Managers say, the problem started with a boiler ”The boiler had a flame and when we got the fire extinguisher and shot the flame with the fire extinguisher it created a lot of smoke and we evacuated the building for everybody’s safety” said Wilbur Hensley.
We’re told a grease fire had started, so Memphis Firefighters responded and helped put it out and make sure the building was safe.
It caused more than a little excitement for what had been just a normal weekend night on Beale.
Fortunately nobody suffered any injuries, and the restaurant got the mess cleaned up quickly.
Diners didn’t want to leave, but did.
Mangers even considered re-opening, but decided against it ”We were gonna open back up tonight. We just made the decision it’s 3 o’clock on the morning. Why don’t we go home and get started tomorrow?”
We’re told the restaurant even picked up the tab for those eating there at the time of the fire.
The Blues City Café will re-open for business as usual, today.